Center for Wilderness Safety is committed to building a diverse community that is inclusive of people from all backgrounds. CWS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or veteran status.
The organization’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities.
Any form of retaliation directed towards any person who pursues a discrimination complaint, participates in any form of discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes discrimination is prohibited and may be dealt with in an appropriate legal matter as needed. Please feel free to contact us with any questions.
Minimum Age Requirements
Listed below are the minimum age requirements for each course we offer. Participants must be this age by the last day of the course in order to be eligible to participate. Exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis beforehand with your course instructor.
- Wilderness EMT Upgrade: 18 years old
- Wilderness First Responder: 16 years old
- Wilderness Advanced First Aid: 16 years old
- Wilderness First Aid Afloat: 14 years old
- Wilderness First Aid: 14 years old
- CPR/AED/First Aid: 11 years old
- Bear Spray Training: 14 years old
- First Aid Merit Badge: 11 years old
All participants are required to attend all classroom and hands-on practical sessions and field exercises. Limited absences for family or medical concerns can be accommodated. A review of the missed curriculum or examinations is the participant’s responsibility. Email us or call Toll Free 1 (855) 505-1700 for more information.
Cancellations, Transfers + Refund Policy
For all In-Person Wilderness First Aid (WFA), Wilderness First Aid Afloat (WFAA), Wilderness Advanced First Aid (WAFA), as well as Wilderness First Responder (WFR) courses, if you cancel or withdraw from a course for any reason:
- TRANSFERS requested MORE THAN 10 DAYS prior to the course start date are permitted, however a $35 TRANSFER FEE will automatically be assessed. These fees must be paid in full at the time of registration transferal.
- TRANSFERS requested made WITHIN 10 DAYS of the course start date will be DENIED unless due to a medical emergency (with Written Documentation).
- CANCELLATIONS made MORE THAN 10 DAYS prior to the course start date will result in a Full Refund of tuition paid, minus a $50 CANCELLATION FEE.
- CANCELLATIONS made WITHIN 10 DAYS of the course start date, or after the course has begun, will result in the following:
- Wilderness First Aid (in-person & hybrid) – Loss of Full Tuition.
- Wilderness First Aid Afloat – Loss of Full Tuition.
- Wilderness Advanced First Aid – Loss of Full Tuition.
- Wilderness First Responder – Loss of $300 Deposit.
- Wilderness EMT Upgrade – Loss of $300 Deposit.
Please note that all Hybrid Course sales are Final.
Refunds are unavailable for Hybrid courses, regardless of reason.
Any participant that simply does not show up to class and does not communicate their planned absence prior to class (unless medical emergency and are unable to do so) will NOT receive a refund nor be allowed to transfer their enrollment to a future course. Refunds due to course cancellation are made after the registered course date and may take up to six to eight weeks to process.
If for any reason CWS must cancel a course, any and all payments and deposits will be refunded in full, or may be transferred to any future course where seats are still available.
CWS reserves the right to cancel a course for any reason that it deems necessary (low enrollment, severe inclement weather which effects the safety of participants, acts of God, etc.).
If a course does not meet the minimum required enrollment, that course will be cancelled and students will be given alternative enrollment options.
Tuition payment in full is required to reserve your seat in the course. Tuition is payable by credit card or PayPal via the CWS website or over the phone. The tuition fee covers all textbooks, syllabus, equipment and supplies, as well as certification card, patch, etc.
CWS is not obligated to allow any participant to attend a course until all prerequisites and necessary paperwork has been received, reviewed and approved by CWS. A full refund will be given if CWS is forced to cancel the course for any reason.
Course Conduct Policy
Course participants are responsible for their own well-being. This includes being in good health and physical condition.
Participants are expected to act in a considerate manner toward all group members and with respect. Participants are prohibited from using illegal drugs and alcohol while on CWS courses.
CWS expects that all participants come prepared to put forth their best effort. Every CWS course requires participants to follow instructions, try new activities and work as part of a team.
Our courses can be physically, mentally and emotionally challenging and require a strong commitment from the participant. Participants exhibiting behavior deemed inappropriate will be expelled without refund. This includes but is not limited to use of illegal drugs and alcohol.
Occasionally CWS uses students’ names, photos, and other images in promotional material, videos, and press releases. Participants give their consent for CWS to use their photograph, likeness and/or voice to be used in its publications, including websites.